Frequently Asked Questions

Darby Butler, Sheriff
Dixie County, Florida
P.O. Box 470
214 NE 351 Highway, Suite L
Cross City, Florida 32628


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I become a member of the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office?

ANSWER: Please use the EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – JOIN OUR TEAM Link on our web page for more information on employment or contact the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office at (352) 498-1220

How can I obtain public records documents and information?

ANSWER: Please use the RECORDS Link on our web page for more information or contact the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office at (352) 498-1220.

How can I check the status of a warrant?

ANSWER: Call or come into the Sheriff’s Office in person and request a warrant check. You will be provided with the Warrant’s status and existence at that time. If you have any warrant questions, contact the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office at (352) 498-1231.

How can I meet with the Sheriff?

ANSWER: If you want to meet with Sheriff Butler, you have several forums. Sheriff Butler is active within the community and is very open to listening to the citizens’ thoughts and having a one-on-one conversation to discuss their concerns and needs within the county and their communities. If you would like to have a private meeting with Sheriff Butler, you can contact the Sheriff’s Office to schedule an appointment at your convenience. If you would like Sheriff Butler to speak or be present at a meeting or community gathering, you can make the request and arrangements through the Sheriff’s Office by calling (352) 498-1220.

If I want to report something, is 911 the only number to call?

ANSWER: For anything related to a crime occurring now or any other emergency, call 911. If in doubt, be safe and call 911. For non-emergency reports, suspicious activities, or requests, call (352) 498-1231. Can I make a report any time of day, or do I need to make an appointment? ANSWER: The Sheriff’s Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to any request for police assistance. We always have Deputies on the road. We will send someone to your house or business when you call.

Can I make a police report over the telephone, or does a Deputy have to come to my house?

ANSWER: Some reports can be taken over the phone. The telecommunicator who answers your call will determine if your report can be handled over the phone.

Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?

ANSWER: No. You may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

ANSWER: Yes. The Sheriff’s Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature. The officer also will ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address, but you may decline to give this information, and a Deputy will still respond.

Can I use 911 on my car phone to report drunk drivers?

ANSWER: Yes. Calls to 911 on a cellular phone are free. Do not pursue a drunk driver or place yourself in danger. When you call, you will be asked for a description of the car, its location, and direction.

Why do the Sheriff’s telecommunicators ask so many questions when I call?

ANSWER: Telecommunicators are trained to get as much information as possible to determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the telecommunicator has already sent the data to a dispatcher while continuing to ask additional questions.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone can be visited, or any other information about persons in jail?

ANSWER: Call the Dixie County Jail Control Room at (352) 498-1231 ext. 221.

Why did it take longer for a Deputy to answer my call this time than on previous calls for assistance?

ANSWER: All requests for police service are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. Sometimes, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that Deputies can respond immediately to emergencies.

I received a notice evicting me from home, and I’m unsure what to do. Or how can I evict someone from my property?

ANSWER: Eviction is a civil legal process requiring a court order. You should contact a lawyer for advice about your legal situation. For information about the status of your case or general information about evictions, call the Civil Section at (352) 498-1220.

I have received several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations for various charity purposes. Are they police officers? I want to help, but it sounds “fishy” to me.

ANSWER: Authentic police officers and departments in this county, including the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office, do not solicit funds over the telephone. However, fraternal organizations, such as the Police Athletic League or the Fraternal Order of Police, may make these calls. If you are contacted by anyone claiming to represent such an organization, please be careful. If you are not familiar with it, you may wish to ask the solicitor to send you information on the charity by mail. Never give your credit card number to anyone over the phone.